Friday, May 22, 2015

4 Reasons to Ditch Diary for Good!

Almost 5 years ago I was a mess!

I had severe acne that would not go away with any type of topical treatment.

My stomach was a disaster - if I wasn't bloated or in pain, I was running to the bathroom. I honestly was nervous to go out anywhere or eat anything.

This had been slowly getting worse so I turned to a naturopath for a food sensitivity test and the results were unanimous! I had a severe allergy to dairy - more specifically - casein, which is the main protein in dairy. From that day forward I completely cut out dairy from my diet and was a amazed at the results. I honestly wished I had done it years before.

Since then I have done a lot of research on dairy and its effects on the body and it all shows that cutting dairy out of your diet (whether you are allergic or not) is a healthy choice. Here are 4 really good reasons to ditch dairy for good:
  1. Cancer Prevention - Dr. Colin Campbell of the China Study quotes, "casein is one of the most significant cancer promoters ever discovered". Casein is the main protein in milk and high intake of dairy has been linked to increases in prostate, ovarian and breast cancer. 
  2. Strong Bones - Plant based calcium is better for you. Period. Calcium from sources such as kale, bok choy, beans, almonds and broccoli is better absorbed by the body than animal based calcium.  Kale actually has more calcium per calorie than milk! Dairy is very acidic. Calcium is actually taken from our bones to neutralize the acid levels in the body when dairy is consumed thus making weaker (not stronger, as advertised) bones.  Try a delicious plant based calcium dinner? -  The Picky Diet Kale Lentil Salad & Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
  3. Clear Skin - this one hit home with me the most. Cutting out dairy will improve your skin, especially if you are suffering from acne. All dairy products (organic or not) contain hormones which disrupt your body's natural hormone levels causing stress and inflammation. 
  4. Happy Tummy - digesting dairy is difficult for everyone. Although you may not have physical symptoms that you can see, your body's attempt to digest it is most likely keeping your energy low, making you tired, upsetting your tummy in the form of bad breath, indigestion, headache, bloating, gas or worse…it puts unnecessary stress on your internal organs. Give your tummy a break and skip dairy  - there is no doubt in my mind you will feel better. 
Sending you sunshine, happiness and "dairy free" love, 
Kim

Love this healthy content? Want vegan recipes delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for the weekly Picky Diet Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment