Monday, May 9, 2016
7 Naturally Detoxing Foods
Detox is a hot word.
And why not? It makes us feel like we are clearing out the "bad" stuff and going to be all fresh and clean - thin and glowing - which is awesome.
Here's the great news - our amazing bodies are already designed to detox everyday - without a juice fast or smoothies for dinner. Our kidneys, our liver, our digestive system - they all play a part in healthy detoxing all the time.
Now don't get me wrong - eating bags of bbq chips and chocolate milkshakes are NOT going to help the natural detox process along - much the opposite - they create clutter that slows the process down.
Healthy, whole, unprocessed foods will help your body detox more effectively - getting rid of unwanted toxins and free radicals.
Feeling like you need a little detox? Or you simply want to eat healthier and cleaner? Here are 7 Naturally Detoxing Foods...
"Do something today that your future self will thank you for"
1. Cabbage - its cleansing properties come from a high content of sulphur containing compounds that promote the elimination of potential carcinogens in the body. These compounds are destroyed by heat so for best detoxing benefits enjoy cabbage raw. My favourite way? Detox Cabbage Pear Salad - get the recipe here.
2. Brazil Nuts - these amazing nuts are full of selenium which is key in flushing mercury from your body. Selenium also plays a role in healthy thyroid function. Snack on 2 or 3 Brazil nuts a day.
3. Avocado - full of antioxidants and fibre, avocado's work well with the digestive and cardiovascular system to detox. Try it mixed with two other detoxing powerhouse foods - cilantro and olive oil for a yummy dip or dressing.
4. Cilantro - its natural oils promote digestion therefore working with your digestive system to easily eliminate unwanted toxins. Add it to salads for a fresh twist.
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - loaded with polyphenols EVOO reduces inflammation therefore allowing your body to work more effectively and efficiently. You don't need a lot - 1 or 2 Tablespoons daily does the trick.
6. Kale - is there anything this leafy green doesn't do? Rich in antioxidants (including vitamin K) kale reduces inflammation and works to detox your body on a genetic level.
7. Dandelion Tea - most of us think of the dandelion as a pest in our lawn, but turn that frown upside-down because dandelion tea has been know as "liver tonic" for hundreds of years. Dandelion tea is made up of the plants leaves and roots and works hard to detox your liver. Try a cup today - you can buy organic dandelion tea bags at your local grocery or health food store.