Monday, December 14, 2015

Holiday Detox Salad

I don't know about you but I am in full holiday mode!

The past few weeks have been a whole lot of lunches, dinners, parties, shopping, baking, eating, drinking...

And then today I feel my jeans a touch tight, my head a bit foggy, my skin a bit dull.

Can you relate?

I'm completely out of my healthy eating, workout and sleep routine. I'm guessing you are too. And we still have 11 days until Christmas! (I understand some of you will want to stop reading here, realizing there are ONLY 11 days until Christmas and think who has time to deal with vegan food - I have shopping to do! But please read on, today's recipe is quick and easy)

In this super busy, exciting time of the year it is so easy to fall out of our usual healthy habits. Its ok - every day doesn't have to be perfect. And you can stay on track through all these events with a few simple tricks:

-Eat a healthy snack like veggies and hummus or fruit and nuts and drink a big glass of water before going to a holiday party or dinner - this will keep you full and less likely to try every appy known to man!

-If you are drinking, alternate between an alcoholic drink and water to keep you hydrated and to keep you from drinking too much - stick with red wine if you like it since it does contain antioxidants = fun & healthy!

-Choose one dessert that you really love, enjoy it and then be finished. Remember to be empowered about your food decisions - say to yourself  "I could have more dessert if I wanted to but I choose not to" instead of "I can't have any desserts"

And if all else fails make this awesome Holiday Detox Salad for dinner tonight!

Its sweet, savory and full of antioxidants, fibre and clean protein.

Enjoy!

Holiday Detox Salad

serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a side

Ingredients
~all organic ingredients are preferred
1 large head of red leaf lettuce, torn
1/3 medium red onion, cut into ribbons
1/2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup pecan halves
1/2 pear, thinly sliced
1/2 fennel bulb, sliced
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder

Instructions
In a shallow bowl place the onions, fennel, pecans, kidney beans and pear slices on top of the lettuce.
Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic powder until well combined.
Dress the salad and toss to combine.

Sending you sunshine, happiness and holiday detox love,
Kim

Love this Meatless Monday recipe? 
Want healthy vegan recipes delivered to your inbox? 

No comments:

Post a Comment